Before we get started, I want to share a killer audio resource that I’ve been gaining a lot of higher level learning from lately: The Adonis Lifestyle Podcast. It’s 100% free and the content is very high end and the topic below was inspired by one of their recent pod casts.
Genetic Limitations vs Lifestyle Limitations
By Vince Del Monte
Here’s a picture of me the day after the WBFF Fitness Atlantic Championships August 16, 2011. I’ve been getting a lot of questions from guys asking me, “How did you transform your body from 227 to 195 in only 14 weeks?”
Simple. I executed my plan to near perfection. The biggest challenge was overcoming many lifestyle limitations and I felt those presented a more significant challenge than genetic limitations.
Today’s blog post is designed to show you that you don’t have the body of your dreams because of your lifestyle, not because of your genetics. It’s your lifestyle choices that are the major limiting factor in whether or not you build bigger and stronger muscles and attain that chiseled look.
The good news is that you CAN control your lifestyle. You can’t control your genetics. All your energy should be put towards overcoming and improving the lifestyle factors below. You’ll shortly see why it’s so important to only compare yourself to yourself.
There is no point in comparing your body to my body and you should not try to look like any model, movie star, celebrity, athlete or bodybuilder because you have no idea if you can emulate their same lifestyle.
Consider the following factors about my training:
Social Environment & Upbringing:
- You may not have parents, like mine, who drive me to be the best I can be.
- I doubt you have brothers who are high level performance athletes. I’m surrounded by champions.
- My network of friends consists of highly motivated and driven people. I’m always around positivity.
- I have a very supportive wife who diets and trains just as hard as I do so it’s easy to stay dialed in.
- I have a unlimited budget towards massage and therapy so I recover very fast.
- I would be surprised if you were willing to spend as much as I do on groceries.
- I am able to hire high end trainers and coaches to take me through my workouts and assess my technique.
- I have no budget when it comes to supplements so can experiment with higher dosages to ensure I stay healthy.
Stress Levels & Recovery Ability
- I run a online fitness business that depends on me to stay in shape so I have some serious motivation.
- Your body may not be as durable as mine. Your body may not be able to take a lot of punishment.
- I’m a pretty laid back guy. I don’t get stressed easily so probably have lower cortisol levels than you.
- I work from home full time so have very little outside stress in my life.
Your Level Of Seriousness
- I have over ten years of long distance running under my belt. My pain threshold is HIGH so I can train hard.
- Who knows if you can push as hard as me on those last reps in the gym…
- I ll stand in a cold shower for ten minutes, to promote recovery, and it won’t phase me.
- My goals are ultra important to me so I am prepared to dedicate 2-4 hours a day to my goals. Are you?
- I have a superior ability to focus and not get side tracked during my workouts. Do you?
Okay, I hope you’re starting to realize these are just a few reasons you cannot compare yourself to anyone else besides you. None of this info is shared to discourage you or put me on a pedestal. I simply want to reveal the importance of focusing on YOUR GOALS, YOUR BODY and YOUR LIFESTYLE CHOICES.
YOU ARE IN COMPLETE CONTROL OF WHAT YOUR BODY LOOKS LIKE BY FOCUSING ON YOUR LIFESTYLE LIMITATIONS AND OVERCOMING THEM AND IMPROVING ON THEM.
I have no problem using images of models, movie stars, celebrities, athletes or bodybuilders as a form of inspiration (I do that myself) but you can’t think you’ll ever look like them because of all the unknown lifestyle factors they do not reveal to you.
I strongly believe that you probably have the same “genetic” limitations as I do and the same “genetic” limitations as all the images you look up to. But I guarantee that your lifestyle limitations are completely different.
Take Home Message: Figure out what lifestyle factors are preventing you from taking your physique to the next level and work on one of them at a time. The more lifestyle limitations you can overcome, the bigger and more ripped your muscles will become!
Tell me one lifestyle factor that you are going to focus on improving or overcoming this month. Let’s get 200 comments on the blog!
Like this article? Please rate and share below!
If you liked this article, you'll LOVE our No Nonsense Newsletter!
Sign up Now and
- Learn how to eat to get Lean and Ripped…
- Learn how to lift to get Bigger and Stronger…
- Learn how to stay motivated to Build Your Dream Body…
- PLUS… 3 exclusive free gifts as a surprise!
Your Information is 100% Secure With Us And Will NEVER Be Shared With Anyone.