I’ve been writing “my goals for the year” ever since the early 1990′s thanks to my father. He would have my brothers and I sit down at the kitchen table every Christmas season and write down what we would like to achieve in the future year.
My Dad would have us write our goals in four different categories – physical (fitness and training goals), intellectual (schooling and career goals), relational (friend and family goals) and spiritual (relationship with God) goals.
What you’re about to read is quite personal but I think it’ll reflect some of the reasons I continue to experience more success than I deserve. First let’s chat on a few things:
Why Do We Need Goals?
1. Goals give you direction for all areas of life: physical, mental, emotional, relational, career, material, contribution, experiential and spiritual.
2. Without goals, life is boring and makes it hard to wake up in the morning.
3. Goals will ignite a fire inside you and keep you passionate about life.
4. Life without goals is like trying to sail across the Atlantic without a map. Goals act as maps, and help propel you towards the right destination.
5. Goals help you attack procrastination; a “silent killer.” Understand the only way to achieve your goals is to TAKE ACTION. Think about how many guys you know with unbelievable knowledge but mediocre jobs. This is because many people don’t funnel their knowledge towards anything.
6. If you’re unsatisfied with an area of your life, it’s probably because you don’t know what you want. Figure out what you want to get you excited, and today is the day to figure that out.
How Do You Set Goals?
1. The first key is to THINK BIG and dream about every possibility in life.
2. Set no limits on yourself. Ask yourself, “If I knew I could not fail, then what would I do?”
3. Who’s living the life right now that you desire and aspire to?
4. Categorize your goals into three or four areas of life most important to you. Consider the areas I mentioned above.
5. Get a pen and paper and write them down. If you’re a NNMB, YSPQ or MYM member than I recommend you share your goals on the forum for accountability purposes.
6. Write a deadline beside each goal and let’s focus on goals for this upcoming year. Some you might achieve in the next month and some may come later in the year.
7. Don’t be afraid of failing. In the past I have left certain goals off my list because they appeared the year before and I was unsuccessful. If you want it to happen, just write it down.
8. Set goals outside of your comfort zone. If your goals are not challenging, than you’ll never achieve your true potential in life.
9. Get specific. Saying you want to buy a house is a great goal but I would prefer you to say what kind of house, what city, what neighborhood, how many square feet etc.
Vince’s 2011 Goals
- Create Live Large TV – my brand new You Tube TV weekly web show, which will be starting this first week of January 2011!
- Get The Skinny Guy Savior published as a hardcopy book in book stories for winter 2011 or 2012. Basically next year at this time I want my hardcopy book live in bookstores.
- Offer 1-1 Online Coaching to my MYM graduates and potentially open it up to my NNMB and YSPQ customers as well. This will be the highest end service I offer. Hoping to launch this in May 2011.
- Help my wife Flavia launch Flavilicious Fitness and have her take over the female side of my online business. Look out for that in early April 2011!
- Redesign my home page, blog, Facebook Fan Page and You Tube channel. (What do you think of them so far?)
- Launch 21-Day Fast Mass Building with Lee Hayward on January 11th 2011.
- Release No Nonsense Muscle Building 2.0 for it’s 5-Year Anniversary on April 5th, 2011.
- Launch two Muscle Masterminds with a ten-man limit in each. For those that don’t know, I’m also a business coach. I’ll have one group for guys making five figures a year who want to climb to six-figures a year and I’ll have another group for guys who want to go from six-figures a year to seven-figures a year. Applications go out in March 2011 if you’re interested. (Investment is approximately 10 and 15K respectively, a year, per person).
- Stay injury free by continuing to do Hot Yoga one to three times a week.
- Compete in the Muscle Model category with WBFF on April 16th and maybe two weeks later in Quebec…
- Improve my flexibility in my shoulders, hamstrings and lower back.
Relational (Flavia helped me write these ones…ha)
- Give Flavia my full attention when she’s talking to me so we can communicate effectively and she doesn’t have to repeat herself and say, “we have already discussed this babe”.
- Make our relationship more important than anything and anyone else.
- Develop a work routine that allows Flavia and I to spend quality time AND have dinner together, while having one day off a week from work.
- Spend more time with my family and friends.
- Get back into my daily devotions – at least 5-minutes every morning – before I start my day. If anyone wants to join me, pick up Grace For The Moment: Inspiration for Each Day of the Year by Max Lucado
There you have it! Some of those are obviously more personal than others but that’s okay. Most of the goals I kept to myself were never achieved. The goals you declare and publically announce are the ones that get done.
Now it’s your turn. I think you should make this an annual habit of yours too. Write them down on a piece of paper or in a journal or on a blog or on your computer. I posted them on my blog because I practically live on the Internet so they’ll always “be in my face.”
What’s YOUR #1 goal for 2011? Share it below and if we get 200 comments then I’ll hook you up with TWO brand new gifts tomorrow.
Like this article? Please rate and share below!
If you liked this article, you'll LOVE our No Nonsense Newsletter!
Sign up Now and Receive:
- Learn how to eat to get Lean and Ripped…
- Learn how to lift to get Bigger and Stronger…
- Learn how to stay motivated to Build Your Dream Body…
- PLUS… 3 exclusive free gifts as a surprise!
Your Information is 100% Secure With Us And Will NEVER Be Shared With Anyone.