At the end of each year I reflect on my my physical, intellectual (business), relational and spiritual journey. This past year has been the biggest year of my life. I have made breakthroughs in all areas.
Let me know what which one you liked the most and then post one thing you learned in 2009.
By the way, “learning” has three different levels:
Level zero learning = a new insight or new piece of info
Level one learning = a action that is taken from the new insight or piece of info
Level two learning = a behavior change and transformation occurs from the new insight or piece of info.
Below you’ll notice I share a mixture of all three levels of learning from the past year.
Top 60 Things I Learned In 2009
1. Twitter is annoying. Facebook still my favorite form of social media.
2. Nightly “to do” lists are still the most effective way for me to accomplish my daily tasks.
3. The most important degree I got this year was a Degree in G.S.D. Get Shit Down. Create your G.S.D. checklist before you go to bed each night for the next day.
4. Not checking email until 3pm in the afternoon helps me be 10x more productive.
5. The most important question I asked, “Is the path I’m going down now going to attract the girl of my dreams?”
6. Tens attract tens. Fives attract fives. Fives don’t attract tens. If you want to marry a ten out of ten and you’re a five out of ten then you better start working on yourself fast because the fives are going to find you!
7. Getting a pre-paid credit card will change your life. The entire psychology of using a pre-paid credit card (putting your own money on the card) will change your spending habits and change your life completely. Use pre-paid credit card! Seriously, sign up for one today.
8. Stop focusing on finding and looking for the right person and start focusing on becoming the right person. Every day you spend looking is another day you’ve lost growing and attracting the right person into your life. I should have listened to my Mom when she told me this 15 years ago.
9. You can’t help people who don’t want to help themselves.
10. People don’t want you to change because they will not be able to control the puppet strings they have on your life anymore.
11. Buying a Blackberry turned into a Crackberry. I’m still working on managing this little guy…..
12. The last season of Entourage was spectacular. I didn’t want the season finale to stop…
13. Dexter is the only T.V. show this year that was worth the investment of my time. Sometimes depressing but incredibly thrilling. I can’t get enough of Dexter (I’m mid way through season 3 and hear season 4 is even better).
14. Security is boring. Security is for cadavers.
15. Muscle is best built in 3-week spurts. Go full-throttle for 3-weeks and then back off for 1-week and then repeat the cycle. Every 3-weeks you have something new, stimulating and challenging to look forward to.
16. Searching for perfection is the quickest way to fail.
17. Living a life of significance is more important than living a life of success.
18. Muscle and six-packs can be used as an honorable platform to inspire and serve your loved ones by being a positive role model. Muscle and six-packs can go beyond vanity, self-image and ego.
19. My loved ones benefit from the investment into my body more than I benefit. When you don’t take care of yourself, not only do you suffer but the people around you suffer too. Not taking care of your body is very selfish.
20. Don’t expect life to be fair to you. Who ever said life was supposed to be fair anyways?
21. If you want your problems solved you need to do it yourself.
22. Creating a separate email account for business newsletters and one for personal email saved me 60 minutes a day.
23. Be yourself because everyone else is taken.
24. The biggest limit you need to overcome in your life, to live the life of your dreams, is your mind.
25. Always give before you take. End every phone call and email with, “Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.” Mean it if you’re going to say it.
26. The most successful people in life gives a lot of their info away for free.
27. Driving a Laborghini at 200mph was the most exhilarating experience this past year.
28. Meeting my girlfriends 16 brothers and sisters in one weekend was a close second. Having all 7 of her brothers take me out on the town was equally intimidating.
29. I have a whole new level of respect for men who have proposed to their wives. Wow! I never expected my adrenaline to sky-rocket so fast.
20. The best birthday present you can give yourself is a wife 🙂
21. Setting this rule with my fiance after the first 2 dates: “There is no need to talk about our pasts unless the conversation will bring us closer together.” I know nothing about Flavia’s past and she knows nothing about mine. By focusing on the present and future we have avoided so much unnecessary stress and heartache.And we have given each other the opportunity to be the person we both really want to be.
22. Deadlines are the most powerful forms of influence. All of my biggest breakthroughs and accomplishments happened because I had a deadline associated with it. Speaking events, photo shoots, trips, product launches, celebration parties and most importantly – proposing!
23. You need to schedule fun, especially as you get older. Seriously, if you have not had a vacation in over a year… GO! That is more important than anything else – I don’t care what excuses you have. GO ON A VACATION.
24. Hollywood needs more rising teen stars like Tristan Lautner to inspire Generation Y to pack on some muscle.
25. 24-hour fasting has been the healthiest addition to my nutrition program. Including one 24-hour at least two times a month from Sunday 6pm to Monday 6pm has helped me sleep better, lean down and feel cleaner and be more productive.
26. Learning how to tell stories is the most powerful and most persuasive way to make your point.
27. Receiving before and after pictures from you and my readers and reading your success stories on my blog and via email are still the highlight of my day.
28. Figure out what your top 5% is. What is the 5% of activities in your life that can ONLY be done by you and that produce the most productivity in your life? Once you list that 5%, outsource everything else. Outsourcing things like cleaning my house, taking care of my yard and shoveling my driveway were not productive uses of my time (and I hate those things anyways) so it makes no sense in doing them.
29. Keep asking yourself, “Why do I want what I want?” Remind yourself of the reasons why you are chasing certain goals.
30. If you can live large inside the gym then you can live large outside of the gym. If you can have a world class body there is no reason you can not have a world class relationship, world class business or world class lifestyle.
31. Incorporating fast days and extreme cheat days into my nutrition program made the biggest difference in my physique this pat year.
31. High frequency training is necessary the more advanced you become. And 5-day whole body workouts actually work. They are stimulating, invigorating and challenging.
32. Using my juicer and having a detox drink of cucumbers, celery, asparagus and lemon each day kept me sick-free, again this year (I have not been sick in years btw).
33. Cutting carbs after 6pm kept me around 10% bodyfat lower all year round.
34. Stair climbing is the most effective way to burn fat quickly.
35. Double espresso and/or a Americano (double shot) give me a better workout than any other pre-workout supplement.
36. Taking ZMA every night and a high dosage (10 grams) of fish oils before bed gives me the best qualtity sleep ever.
37. The grass is not greener on the other side. The grass is green where you water it. Think of that in terms of relationships.
38. If you have a hobby or passion or obsession that keeps you up at night then right now is the time to cash in on that passion. Use the power of the Internet to turn your real passion into a real business.
39. I spent over $35,000 in personal business coaching this past year, my biggest year ever, and my business continued to double which proves you can’t ever stop investing in yourself if you want to grow.
40. There is no such thing as coasting in life. You are either dying or your’re growing. There is a myth that you can stay the same and it’s not true.
41. It’s better to be your own man than let anyone label you or your life. Don’t get caught up in the hype of being an Alpha Male or any other random benchmark for manhood and manliness. All you need to be is a Man.
42. Thirty is the new 25. Even though I turned 30 this year I still see age has just a number.
43. Scheduling a photo shoot in Punta Cana was the biggest motivation to get me in my best condition ever.
44. Volunteering 2-hours a week at my churches youth group has been some of the most rewarding time invested this past year. Look for younger kids, other than your sibling, whom you can be a role model for and invest into.
45. Scheduling “alone-time” at coffee shops with a book has been some of my most peaceful and reflective times of the year.
46. In terms of how to dress for bad weather: There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes.
47. Cycle your supplements. 3 weeks on and 1 week off. Cycle your supplement brands daily too. I rotate around 2 different protein powders, 2 different multis, 2 different fish oil supplements and 2 different greens products. It’s an insurance policy to make sure you’re never deficient (unless both brands are crappy).
48. Early morning training, with weights and cardio, still proved to be my favorite time to work out. It sets the stage for the rest of your day and creates positive momentum to eat clean and be productive the rest of the day.
49. The ultimate pre workout shake: 1 banana, 1/2 cup of strawberries, 1-2 shots of espresso, chocolate protein powder, 1 cup of ice is the best tasting and most refreshing shake to boost your workout intensity.
50. When you know, you know. I knew I was going to marry Flavia after the first 2 weeks (maybe less).
51. If you’re a businessman, or up and coming entreprenuer, read all of Seth Godin’s books.
52. Spend as much time with your family as possible. They will not be with you forever (I lost my 85-year old Nonno Vince and my 51-year old Uncle Lawerence this past year).
53. See the gym as an opportunity to inspire others and raise the intensity of other peoples workouts around you. By bringing your best into the gym you’ll bring out the best of the people around you.
54. There are only three important things you need to figure out in life: Maker, Mission, Mate. First, you have to figure out who you Maker is and what he wants with you. Then you have to figure out your Mission in life, that is your higher calling. And finally you have to find your Mate to make you complete.
55. You are the average of the five people you associate with the most. If you’re five closest friends are millionaires than I’m guessing you are on your way or are one too. If you’re five closest friends have six-packs, same thing. Show me your friends and I’ll show you your future. Evaluate your top five on a regular basis.
56. Drinking wine on a Saturday night, creating a antipasto dish and watching a movie with Flavia is my favorite way to kick back and relax.
57. Buying a foam roller and actually using it helped me save money and visits on my A.R.T. therapist and my massage therapist.
58. Go on trips with your parents. Invest into memories that will last a lifetime. My most memorable trips this past year were with my parents in Orlando for a week.
59. Getting to meet YOU better via my blog, Facebook, Youtube and email has been a very fun time for me. I love to hear what’s on your mind; hear about your fitness progress; know that you’re taking action; sharing what is working for you and fostering the growth of this website.
60. Lastly, it’s never too late. It’s NEVER, EVER too late to start doing what you want to do.
I hope you enjoyed those. Any of those stand out to you? I would love to hear one thing you learned in 2009. Comment away!
Like this article? Please rate and share below!
If you liked this article, you'll LOVE our No Nonsense Newsletter!
Sign up Now and
- Learn how to eat to get Lean and Ripped…
- Learn how to lift to get Bigger and Stronger…
- Learn how to stay motivated to Build Your Dream Body…
- PLUS… 3 exclusive free gifts as a surprise!
Your Information is 100% Secure With Us And Will NEVER Be Shared With Anyone.